“With the exception of safe water, no other modality, not even antibiotics, has had such a major effect on mortality reduction …” Plotkin S, OrensteinW, Offit P; Vaccines, 5th Ed. Saunders, 2008.
Biovac has supplied vaccines for the Expanded Programme on Immunisation (EPI) in South Africa since 2003. We have played a pivotal role in supporting the South African Department of Health during introductions of new vaccines and during vaccination campaigns.
Currently, Biovac supplies over 25 million doses of vaccines annually to the South African EPI. The vaccines being supplied (and the diseases they prevent) are:
- Bacille Calmette-Guerin Vaccine (BCG, against Tuberculosis)
- Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV, against Poliomyelitis)
- Measles Vaccine (against Measles)
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (against Pneumonia)
- Rotavirus Vaccine (against Diarrhoeal diseases caused by Rotavirus)
- Hepatitis B Vaccine (against Hepatitis B)
- Human Papillomavirus (against Cervical Cancer)
- Influenza (against Influenza)
- Pentavalent vaccine (against Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Poliomyelitis and Haemophilus influenzae b infection) and Hexavalent Vaccine (against the five diseases above as well as Hepatitis B vaccine)
Beyond South Africa, Biovac supplies vaccines and other biologicals within the South African Development Community (SADC) region and continues to explore relationships to expand our reach.
In our Quality Policy, we undertake to develop, consistently produce and deliver safe, efficacious and quality-assured products that comply with customer and regulatory requirements. We also pledge to ensure continual improvement of our Pharmaceutical Quality System.