Website The Biovac Institute
Biovac is the only company in South Africa, and one of a few in Africa, focussed on human vaccine development and manufacture. It plays a significant part in contributing to the bioeconomy of South Africa. As a centre of excellence in Africa, Biovac continues to expand its platform technologies to support product development and manufacture with the aim of responding to vaccine needs in Africa and other developing countries. A recent product development project opportunity has created the need for an energetic, creative and highly motivated Technical Service Operator within the Science and Innovation (S&I) Department at Biovac. The successful incumbent will be based in Cape Town and will be joining at a particularly exciting time for the company as it continues to strengthen and build on its successes to further develop its capabilities, products, services and market diversification. He / She will report to the S&I Facility Coordinator and will be part of a dynamic team working on the development of novel vaccines.
The Key Performance Areas for this position include facility support, technical project support, and people management.
The Technical Service Operator will be responsible for execution of S&I facility and project activities including but not limited to:
- Supporting the S&I Senior Technicians with routine and project lab activities including but not limited to facility monitoring, glassware cleaning and device preparation activities.
- Supporting the S&I Facility Coordinators with facility readiness activities including but not limited to building renovations and installation of new equipment.
- Supporting annual shutdown activities, i.e. maintenance and calibration on utilities and equipment.
- Assist with routine fumigation activities and coordinating cleaning activities in S&I facilities.
- Support S&I Storeroom coordinators with storeroom up-keep and inventory management procedures.
- Execute routine and project media/buffer and device preparation.
- Action non-compliances highlighted during routine EHS laboratory inspections.
- Provide technical support to S&I scientists and senior scientists as required.
- Support technical staff training.
- Ensure compliance with respect to company safety and biosafety regulations and policies.
- Maintain high performance and innovative team culture.
- Adherence to current regulations and guidelines – both local (Medicines and Related Substances Act 101 of 1965, Pharmacy Act 53 of 1974) and international.
Preferred Candidate specifications:
- Matric certificate
- Any laboratory experience, especially as a technician would be highly advantageous.
- Strong data capturing and technical writing skills.
- Sound leadership capability within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Good decision-making skills.
- Ability to communicate and relate well with people at all levels.
- Self-starter, with a drive for excellence and high standards.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities.
The following would be advantageous:
- Knowledge of cGMP (SA, PIC/S, WHO) and GLP guidelines.
- Local and international travel may be required.
- Shift work may be required depending on operational requirements.
- Flexible working hours, including weekends and night shifts.
The position is a long-term fixed contract position with the opportunity for permanent employment. An annual salary which is competitive in the research and development sector in SA will be negotiated relevant to experience.
Forward your application, comprising a full CV, a covering letter of motivation and contact details of three referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: 20 June 2018
All positions will be filled in accordance with our Employment Equity policy as The Biovac Institute is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress.
Kindly note that by submitting your application for this career opportunity you agree that Biovac may use your application for the purpose of the recruitment and selection of the said position and this information may be shared with the relevant stakeholders in the business