The Biovac Institute requires a Material Handling Supervisor to contribute to its mission of establishing local biological and vaccine manufacturing capability at its Cape Town based site. Being the only one of its kind in South Africa, Biovac strives to respond to the vaccine needs of the developing countries, specifically South Africa and Sub Saharan Africa. This is a particularly exciting time for the company as it continues to grow, strengthen and build on its success and further develop its capabilities, products, services and market diversification.
The successful incumbent will report to the Material Handling Section Head.
The Key Performance Areas for this position include:
- Supervise and lead the team to ensure the smooth running of the Material Handling Section and related activities are achieved at the required quality levels (Biovac, MCC and WHO) and within the agreed and budgeted timeframe.
- Receiving, storage and inventory management of all goods.
- Ensure the undisrupted, punctual and safe operation of staff and processes pertaining to material handling and the company’s operations.
- Responsible to ensure that the Material Handling team delivers services and solutions in alignment with pharmaceutical quality system requirements and as per the work schedules of as determined by the Section Head and/ or Department Manager.
- Continuously support and prescribe to cGMP within Biovac.
- Align team focus areas and outputs to the business’s objectives
- Conduct team planning and execute activities within own scope of accountability.
- Adequate capacity planning and performance delivery in line with strategic, tactical and operational plans
- Role profiling, goal setting and performance management of supervisors and staff within the department.
- Implement a knowledge management infrastructure within the team to ensure intellectual property is effectively maintained
- Growth, succession & retention of talent pools within the team.
- Accountability for own and team’s personal and professional learning & development to ensure technical and leadership bench strength within the team
- Ensure accurate delegation of ongoing operational activities in the event of key staff members’ absence.
- Conduct effective employee relations in accordance with labour legislation, company policies and procedures and address any performance and conduct concerns and risks timeously.
- Shared accountability for achieving the site’s tactical plans and mitigation of any risk to the site operation including workflow, ethics, quality, finances, regulatory compliance and other material company requirements.
- Identify and continuously present key opportunities and synergies that will improve and/ or expand the operation within own and/ or other teams.
- Lead or participate in team and/ or site wide projects
- Monitoring & reporting on key operations, critical numbers and key performance indicators that impacts the team’s short, medium and long term objectives.
- Participate with the department manager and other senior and middle managers in proactively mitigating risks and find solutions where possible.
- Conduct effective and comprehensive costing, budgeting and expense management for own team, taking all overlapping site activities into consideration
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Certificate in Stores Supervision or Management with a Post-Basic Pharmacist Assistant Qualification.
- Recognition is given to Prior Learning and practical experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience in pharmaceutical/ biotech manufacturing industry of which:
- At least 2 years’ experience at team leader or supervisory level.
- Intermediate stores management and distribution principles are required.
- Experience in quality management systems within a cGMP facility.
- Knowledge of Pharmaceutical related legislation.
- Knowledge and exposure to cGxP in an Operational Warehousing Environment, preferably Pharmaceutical/ Chemical Stores.
- Experience in having faced successfully local and/ or international quality audits.
- Experience in aseptic (sterile) manufacturing.
- Experience with SAP ERP system
Technical Competencies Required
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of Material Handling/ Warehousing/ Stock control systems.
- Detailed knowledge of pharmaceutical industry standards and guidelines in GMP, Quality and Material Handling.
- Documentation Management
- Inventory Management
- Environmental, Health & Safety Management
- Statistical Trending & Data Analysis
- Metric Development & Report Writing
- Coaching & Mentoring of peers & staff
- Planning, Organising, Execution & Delegation
- Creative Problem Solving & Innovation Skills
- Sustainable Stakeholder Management
- Action & Results Oriented
- Assertive & Resilient
- Adaptable in Responding to change
- Negotiation and influencing skills
- Proactive in mitigating risk
- Clear, timely and effective communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Analytical Ability
All positions will be filled in accordance with our Employment Equity policy as The Biovac Institute is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. We encourage those living with disabilities to apply.
Interested persons to kindly submit their CV’s to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on 30 November 2017